Planet Panda by Paul Barnes
Acrylic and Plaster on Boxed Canvas, 10″ x 10″ x 1.375″
Current Exhibition at Flower Pepper Gallery: Being A Panda from May 6th to 31st, 2017
Previous Exhibitions at Flower Pepper Gallery:
- 4th Year Anniversary Show from December 19th, 2015 to January 19th, 2016
- 3rd Year Anniversary Show from December 6th, 2014 to January 6th, 2015
- The Brave Ones from October 10th to November 5th, 2014
- Pandamonium from June 7th to 27th, 2014
- Of History And Hope from April 5th to May 2nd, 2014
- Mad Hatters from November 23rd, 2013 to January 24th, 2014
Paul’s mythical characters are allegories of human emotion. Against a landscape inspired by the natural surroundings of his native north of Scotland, narrative threads are woven around the interactions between his anthropomorphized figures, often greatly inspired by his three children, the purity, innocence and curiosity of their being and the infinity of their imagination. His paintings are characterized by a warm, muted palette with a textured and aged appearance, reminiscent of Italian fresco painting, in a space free from the boundaries of time or culture.
Paul lives and works in the north of Scotland. His paintings are shown in notable galleries in the UK, Europe and USA and have gained him international recognition within the ever expanding New Contemporary Art and Pop Surrealism movements.
“From a world of extended metaphor and gentle strangeness, Barnes captures our imaginations and depletes our adult resistance to fantastical possibility.
The artist’s work is informed by the legend and magic of folklore; an influence apparent in this childlike imaginary of gentle, foggy, creatures in half waking dream states.”
– Marieke Treilhard