BoldPas is presented by Old Pasadena Management District
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 12 pm – 8 pm
Throughout Old Pasadena
Free & open to the public
BoldPas is a one-day “art takeover” of historic Old Pasadena, showcasing selected, site-specific, temporary art installations and local businesses’ artistic storefronts. The event is designed to highlight Old Pasadena’s unique urban and historic spaces and to encourage visitors to enjoy the space, history, and character of the district.
Selected installations are medium- to large-scale, site-specific, and public; they are community friendly and bold in theme, displaying bright colors, surprising scale, and playfulness. Artists were encouraged to use common, every day found and lightweight materials to emphasize the temporary nature of the artworks. The installations will be in place only for one day, creating an ephemeral nature and not-to-miss excitement.
District merchants – both locally owned and national retailers – are joining the fun, creating bold displays on their storefronts and display windows. More than three dozen merchants will participate, the majority of which are off the more familiar Colorado Boulevard. Visitors can meander historic alleyways and side streets to explore Old Pasadena’s wonderful history, architecture, retailers, and restaurants, while taking in unique artistic interventions at every turn.
Finally, the public will have the opportunity to take one of two walking tours during the event, guided by Pasadena Walking Tours. While strolling the district, tour-goers will learn more about Old Pasadena’s permanent public art while also taking in the installations and chatting with the day’s guest artists.
Click here for the selected installations.
We are grateful to be part of this art event, see details below:
Installation by Various Artists presented by Flower Pepper Gallery
Participating artists: Maggie Chiang, Amy Van Gilder, Liten Kanin, Vivien Mildenberger, Valerie Pobjoy, Lena Sayadian, Joey Stupor, Yetis & Friends
Click here to view photos
Location during BoldPas: by INFO booth near the top of the Metro Right of Way.
- Negative Space by Maggie Chiang for BoldPas. Maggie Chiang: Taiwanese American full time artist and part time dreamer.
Click here to view Negative Space by Maggie Chiang
- Home Sweet Home by Amy Van Gilder for BoldPas. Amy Van Gilder: Muppet builder for The Muppet Show, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal & Fraggle Rock. Former Disney Imagineer.
- Ice Cream Stand by Liten Kanin for BoldPas. Liten Kanin: Tory Lin is a painter, sculptor, jewelry designer, and maker of tiny animal goods.
- Peek by Vivien Mildenberger for BoldPas. Vivien Mildenberger: ArtCenter graduate. Now based in Nashville, Vivien is an illustrator, ceramicist, and general maker of magic.
- Silver Wolf by Valerie Pobjoy for BoldPas. Valerie Pobjoy: ArtCenter graduate. LA-based Valerie draws, paints, and sculpts wildlife and people.
- Wilderness by Lena Sayadian for BoldPas. Lena Sayadian: Southern California native, currently a local in Los Angeles working as an illustrative artist.
- Void by Joey Stupor for BoldPas. Joey Stupor: 23-year-old artist from Newport Beach, incorporates crystals, nature, and creatures in his work.
- Lair of the Mimic by Yetis & Friends. Yetis & Friends: Pasadena-based, husband and wife are a hand-crafted monster team.
Andrew Hem, renewed LA painter/muralist, will be live painting on Mercantile Place throughout the day in preparation for an upcoming exhibition.
BoldPas is a free event. If you would like a little bit extra fun, you could participate in BoldPas Old Pasadena Walking Tour. 2 tours offered: 1:30 pm & 5 pm. Click here to see more info.